Marko Prokliaty, or The Legend Of The East
A dramatic symphony based on the poetry of Vasyl Stus
This work is a prayer. In ‘Marko Prokliaty,’ the theatre is revealed, if it can be put into such terms, to be environmentally pure, without any electronic or technological proxies, without fashion or social trends. It is an expression of the existential human experience,
felt in its deepest state—the principle of being.
Svitlana Veselka, “Vysokyi zamok”
Stus is one of a few creators of a strong language structure, of the strong and commodious word. Because only such a word can give itself over to the depths of culture’s archetypes.
For theatre, were the basis of words, the union of their sounds in the process of the unconscious is especially felt, with obvious merit to the role Vasyl Stus’ poetry
will play in the evolution of the Ukrainian language.
- Director –Volodymyr Kuchynsky
- Set and Costume Design – Natalia Shymin
- Musical Direction – Natalia Polovynka
- Special Literary Advisor – Nadia Svitlychna
- Dramaturg – Julie-Anne Franko
- Marko – Oleh Stephan
- Mamai –Andriy Vodychev
- Mankurt –Volodymyr Kuchynsky
- Crazy Halya – Maria Kopytchak, Myroslava Rachynska
- Running time: 1:10
- Winner of the National Shevchenko Prize for the Arts (2006)
- Best Actor, Oleh Stephan, Teatron Festival (Kharkiv, 2006)